1. First, the height adjustment knob should be on a setting that will allow the Pet Hair Lifter Bar to touch the flooring. (See picture below.)
2. Check the Lifter-Bar for correct installation.The word, “front” appears on one edge of the Lifter-Bar and the underside of the lifter-bar housing. (See picture below.)
3. Now, check that the Lifter-Bar can freely move forward and backward. The Lifter-bar should freely “float” forward and backward (to self-adjust to carpeting).
a) If the Lifter-Bar sticks and doesn’t easily move forward and backward, completely remove the 2 screws on either end of the lifter bar and re-attach them. Note: the screws must be inserted into position slowly. If a screw gets wedged against a bracket, slightly unscrew, wiggle the bracket, and reinsert the screw.
b) If this doesn’t work, try holding each end of the Lifter-Bar and manually force both ends (at the same time) forward and backward 20-30 times to widen the screw-hole (pictured below).
4. If the above steps don’t work, please take your vacuum to a technician. You can find your nearest BISSELL® Authorized Service Center by clicking http://canada.bissell.com/support/product-support/service-centers or by calling 1-800-263-2535, available 24 hours a day.
If you need to assemble the Lifter-Bar or reassemble it after taking it apart, follow the instructions below.
1. There are 2 pieces that make up the Pet Hair Lifter-Bar, pictured below. One piece is a plastic bar with red felt-like material on one side and 3 evenly spaced screw-holes on the other side. The other is a metal bar with 3 evenly spaced screw holes, and a metal tab at one end.
2. To assemble, first place the metal bar into the Lifter-Bar casing, making sure to line up the tab on the metal bar with the tab-slot on the plastic Lifter-Bar casing.
3. Using the 3 screws, securely attach the metal bar to the plastic Lifter-Bar casing (see pictures below).
4. Next, attach the Lifter-Bar to the machine, using 2 screws per end. Please note: insert the screws slowly to avoid wedging in the bracket-hole (see picture below).
Still need help? Please call us at 1-800-263-2535, Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., or Sunday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET. A representative will be ready and waiting to help you out!