1. First, make sure that the vacuum isn’t in the upright position. The brush won’t rotate when the vacuum is upright- an internal switch turns the brush motor off in this position.
2. If something gets stuck in the brush, the brush will stop rotating. Often, things like area rugs or toys get stuck next to the brush. If the stuck object causes enough resistance, it will trigger an automatic shutoff for the brush motor to help prevent the belt from breaking. Turning the unit off and removing the obstruction should reset the machine.
3. Next, make sure both the red power switch and the gray brush switch are pressed and turned on. The handle must also be reclined for the brush to turn.
4. Take a look at the belt through the clear brush cover, on the right-hand side of the base (pictured below). If the belt looks broken, please take your vacuum to a technician. You can find your nearest BISSELL® Authorized Service Center by clicking http://www.bissell.com/service-centers/ or by calling 1-800-263-2535, available 24 hours a day.
5. Turn off and unplug the unit and look for debris wrapped around the brush (i.e. string, hair, fibers, etc…). Cut or pull away anything that’s wrapped around the brush roll. Note: Do not try removing the brush; the brush can’t be removed from the machine
6. If the above steps don’t work, unscrew and completely remove the handle. You can do this by first unscrewing the surfboard-shaped hose wrap to allow access to the screws. Unscrew the two long screws (there are arrows pointing to them) and lift the handle up and off. Once the handle is removed check to see if the wire harness is recessed (partially pushed in) into the base of the vacuum (see picture below). If it is, use a flathead screwdriver and pop it back out so it fully protrudes. Once done, slide the handle back in, insert the screws, and tighten until snug.
If the brush is still not turning, please take your vacuum to a technician. You can find your nearest BISSELL® Authorized Service Center by clicking http://www.bissell.com/service-centers/ or by calling 1-800-263-2535, available 24 hours a day.