- First, unplug your vacuum and check the entire power cord and plug to see if it they’re damaged. Run the palm of your hand down the entire length of the power cord and feel for any edges. The cord should be smooth all the way down. If your cord is damaged in any way, please take your vacuum to a technician. You can find your nearest BISSELL® Authorized Service Center by clicking http://www.bissell.com/service-centers/ or by calling 1-800-263-2535 and choosing option #1, available 24 hours a day.
- How long has the machine been without power? Did it work for a few minutes and then shut off? Or was it plugged in and the power did not come on? If it shut off mid-vacuum, go to step 3. If it didn’t power on at all, go to step 4.
- If it had power and then shut off, it’s very possible the Thermal Protector kicked in. Allow 30 minutes for the machine to reset itself and try again. Make sure nothing unusual was picked up (sock, edge of rug, etc.) which could set the thermal protector off and that the filters are clean. If it still has no power, follow the next steps.
- Make sure power cord is plugged into a working outlet. Just double check with another electronic device.
- Check the inner and outer circular filters and the post-motor filter for debris. The inner and outer circular filters are located on the bottom portion of the dirt container. The post-motor filter is underneath the plastic grate just below the dirt container.
- Check the upper-tank separator louvers (grey round plastic that looks like a filter but has no foam around it), as they may need to be rinsed. You can unscrew the separator and rinse it with water.
Note: Reduced air-flow from dirty filters or clogs will put greater stress on the motor, increasing the possibility for overheating and setting off the thermal protector.
- If you still don’t have any power, at this point it might be best to take your vacuum to a technician. You can find your nearest BISSELL Authorized Service Center by clicking http://www.bissell.com/service-centers/ or by calling 1-800-263-2535 and choosing option #1, available 24 hours a day.